Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Random Thought (October 23, 2013 at 09:24PM)

Random Thought 502



Tonight's entry will be really random. I'll be talking about the animation studio, Kyoto Animation.




Everyone knows that Kyoto Animation or simply KyoAni, is considered to be one of the powerhouse studios when it comes to their topnotch high quality animation. I never actually knew this studio until I watched quite a few of their anime, probably in 2010. They have been in the anime business for a decade now with their anime sequel adaptation to Full Metal Panic way back in 2003.



My first KyoAni anime as far as I know would be the cute girls doing cute things anime K-ON! when it first aired on Animax last March 2010. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even care less of what its studio was. I was just attracted by all the cute high school girls forming a band. All I know was the animation was really really good and the character designs were still very new to me. Even though its a show that only has girls in it, it didn't actually bother me at all. The more girls in an anime, the more manly the show is, I'd say. XD



I'm pretty sure that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the anime that really introduced me to KyoAni. It's my 2nd anime from KyoAni. I know that it did air on TV5 way before K-ON! did on Animax. It was just that I wasn't that well informed with local networks back then and I was already satisfied with the anime that Animax was airing. So, during the time that I began to be more in depth with anime, I decided to buy some pirated DVDs of Haruhi and surprisingly enough I liked it. Its movie sequel, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the best anime movies I have ever watched. I really didn't mind that this movie is in fact almost 3 hours long. Up to this date since they haven't still fully adapted the LN yet, Haruhi Suzumiya is the only KyoAni series that I've been dying to have a sequel some time in the future.



Also because of KyoAni, I became aware of the visual novel company Key, due to KyoAni's adaptation of Key's visual novels. The most notable one is Key's all ages VN CLANNAD. What made this anime a masterpiece is the very solid adaptation of KyoAni. Everything is just really perfect. KyoAni really knows the right time and moment for the most touching and tear jerking scenes of CLANNAD. It's the only anime where I cried like a baby. Well I'm just exaggerating it. But no, really, it left me manly teary eyed.



One thing that I have noticed in KyoAni is that over time since K-ON! they have been just recycling their character designs. There are just too many Mio look a likes. Because of this, KyoAni has become the so called "moe animation studio" to some anime fans. With their latest Kyoukai no Kanata, there is yet another Mio look a like as well as Yui in megane (glasses). I just hope that in the future they do something about it. They need to show something new.



Just recently, KyoAni aired something that they have not done before and it's about topless guys who like to get wet. And you already probably know what I am actually talking about. Free! was KyoAni's answer to all the fujoshi who all begged for KyoAni's swimming commercial with hot guys to get fully animated. Truth to be told, Free! is actually a good experiment done by KyoAni. At least we now know that KyoAni is not only confined with what they have already produced and is capable to do more outside their thinking box.



If you are wondering just how many KyoAni's works I have already watched. Well I think I only watched like 60-70% of all the anime they have produced. Here is the list from what I watched first down to the latest:



1. K-ON!/K-ON!!

2. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

3. Lucky Star

4. CLANNAD/CLANNAD ~After Story~

5. Hyouka

6. Tamako Market

7. Air

8. Kanon

9. Free!

10. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

11. Kyoukai no Kanata



So what I am trying to say is that, KyoAni will still be one of my favorite studios despite some of their downs. Every studio has their down sides. We can't avoid that. I want to talk more about KyoAni like the very controversial Endless Eight arc of Haruhi Suzumiya and their first original anime Tamako Market, but I'm afraid that I don't have enough time to tackle them all. I hope you find this post interesting and informative. That's all for now. Have a great evening!



Photo by



#RTNotes



via |
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment