Friday, October 18, 2013

Fall 2013 Recommendations

After , this fall season that follows feels really stable and full of a lot of smart, touching, comedic and action-packed series that manage to cover every possible genre with something worthwhile.I like to keep my watch list around ten or so and after viewing the first episode of everything that's airing this season I expected that assembling this list into a reasonable number was going to be much more difficult than it actually turned out to be.With two solid years of blogging under my belt and my third year getting started, perhaps I'm finally finding my groove and getting better at determining what's going to impress and what will end up flopping.



1. COPPELION




I've always found the way apocalypse stories explore humanity to be endlessly interesting. I'm expecting to see an amazing story about three saviors who enter a world that either isn't expecting them or flat-out doesn't want them.



2. MONOGATARI SERIES: SECOND SEASON



I'm starting to look at this series as the true sequel to Bakemonogatari both in terms of spirit and style rather than Nisemonogatari, which in hindsight seems more like an offshoot side story.



3. NAGI NO ASU KARA



Just when I think the anime genre has explored every conceivable scenario for a setting, I'm treated to something beautiful and--most appropriately in this case--immersive.



4. KYOUKAI NO KANATA



After making a seemingly endless stream of moe anime, I feel like Kyoto Animation is trolling us.Last season it was a yaoi-ish swimming anime with the first male-dominated cast I think they've ever made and this season they've gone dark and bloody.



5. LITTLE BUSTERS REFRAIN



Picking up EXACTLY where things left off last season, Little Busters continues the wonderful journey of a bunch of high school friends who have always been there for each other as only Key can tell it.



6. AOKI HAGANE NO ARPEGGIO



I've always loved the rogue hero.He's the explorer that forsakes allegiances to live the life of a mercenary and wander the world pursuing the truth.And I'm pretty sure the last time a submarine was a central element to a military anime was Full Metal Panic.It's been too long.



7. WHITE ALBUM 2



I think there's really only two formulas that work for sequels.Either go the Little Busters route and just continue with no introduction or summary of what happened before, or take the White Album method and do a spin-off with a similar premise, but a whole new cast and setting.



8. UNBREAKABLE MACHINE DOLL



Revenge story. Check.Steampunk setting.Check.Underestimated protagonist with a wealth of potential.Check.Love crazed doll that's always making sexually awkward jokes uh check?yes, check.



9. KILL LA KILL



There was immediately something familiar about this crazy series.At first I thought it had been written by Nishio Ishin, but that wasn't it.Maybe it was being made by Gainax.No, that's not it, either.So upon closer inspection I discovered it was written by Kazuki Nakashima, the creator of Gurren Lagann. Hell yes!



10. YUUSHA NI NARENAKATTA



Hero and demon lord anime have seemingly flooded the anime environment as of late, so each needs to put a new twist on the concept.That being said, I have a feeling comedy is going to erupt forth from this band of unsung heroes who didn't finish their hero-ing fast enough and now must find ways to apply their adventuring skills in the service industry.



11. OUTBREAK COMPANY



We just discovered a fantasy world.We need to send a representative.Who would be the best choice?Well, who knows fantasy better than an otaku?And while he's there, lets get him to market anime and manga to the masses because clearly that's the only viable export Japan possesses uh huh.What could possibly go wrong?



HONORABLE MENTIONS



Gingitsune * Galilei Donna * Non Non Biyori * Golden Time * Freezing Vibration * Magi 2
Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment